email@example.com Hornung Student Center 05 920-923-8125
We are excited that your student has joined or is considering joining Greek Life! We hope that you will be active as they pursue this great opportunity! Please utilize this page as a way to support your student during this exciting time.
There are many ways that you as a parent or family member can get involved in your student's Greek experience. Many chapters have events for family members, there are often different ways you can support them through their philanthropic events, or through the campus events that happen at Marian each year.
Here are some tips for you to help your student as they consider Greek Life at Marian.
- Students need support throughout the process of recruitment or intake and new member education.
- Encourage your student to research chapters and ask lots of questions during recruitment. Have them check out the local and national websites, ask about time and financial commitments, the new member orientation process, and the general expectations.
- Encourage your student to keep an open mind and get to know members in all organizations so they can find out which one fits the best.
- Be supportive and learn as much as you can about the Greek Life by asking questions of your student as they meet members in the Greek Organizations.
- Keep an open mind. Being a member of the Greek community is not for everyone. Just because you may not have been a sorority or fraternity member doesn't mean that your student won’t find their home in one.
- Talk to your son or daughter beforehand about the financial obligation. Determine who will pay for what and set any limitations.
- Know that the process of joining a Greek Organization is competitive. Not everyone who wants to be in a particular sorority or fraternity will receive an invitation to join.
- Do not become too involved in the sorority and fraternity recruitment or intake process. Allow your student to make the decision that is right for him or her.
- Understand that Greek life is a lifetime commitment. The lifelong friendships your student will make last well beyond their college years. In addition, Greeks are great at networking which will help them professionally in their careers.
- Learn more about the process by looking through the Greek Life website or through the National Panhellenic Council website for parents at http://sororityparents.com/.
For further questions, please contact the Student Involvement Office at 920-923-8125