Section 1: Marian university guiding principles and mission
Download a printable version here or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
1: Values 2: Jurisdiction 3: Law Violations 4: Rules 5: Conduct Process Overview 6: Conduct Authority 7: Formal Conduct Procedures
MARIAN UNIVERSITY AS A CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY
Marian University is a Catholic institution that is rooted in the gospel of Jesus Christ and influenced by the Church's 21st ecumenical council, Vatican II (1962-1965). As such, Marian University promotes a spirit of dialogue, questioning, and unity within and outside of classroom learning. The morals and values of the Roman Catholic tradition are upheld in all facets of University life.
Marian University is a Catholic applied liberal arts community that welcomes diverse spiritual traditions. Sponsored by the Congregation of Sisters of St. Agnes, Marian University engages students in the education of the whole person. We embrace justice and compassion and transform lives for professional service and leadership in the global community.
HUMAN DIGNITY STATEMENT
Marian University was founded on the principles of the Judeo-Christian tradition. At the very center of this tradition is the affirmation of the value and sacred dignity of the human person. This principle is the cornerstone of the Marian University community.
The Marian community strives to uphold the dignity of every person and to confront challenges to that dignity. The University does not tolerate inappropriate use of power or authority by its members, nor does the University condone any other violation of human dignity. Marian University addresses violations of human dignity through the policies listed in this handbook.
These behavioral policies, as listed in this handbook, govern the conduct of members of the University community. Policies emphasizing the importance of human dignity and practices that promote appropriate respect for individuality and basic human rights are intended to encourage the Marian University community to incorporate such values into interactions with all persons, whether members of the Marian community or the larger society.
CORE VALUES OF MARIAN UNIVERSITY
- Community: Respecting our diversity as individuals, we encourage, challenge, and nurture one another, joining together to accomplish our shared mission and vision.
- Learning: We engage in a collaborative lifelong process of seeking truth and appropriating knowledge and values to transform the individual, our communities, and the world.
- Service: Through active service and ministry, we support one another and seek to meet the needs of the larger community.
- Social Justice: We work to create individual and societal change which supports the value, dignity, and opportunity of every person.
- Spiritual Traditions: Valuing Marian's Catholic religious heritage, we respect each individual's freedom to explore a diversity of spiritual beliefs.